Re: 2013Q3 freeze pre-announcement

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:27:16 +0900, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 11, 2013 at 08:22:36PM +0900, OBATA Akio wrote:
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:17:56 +0900, Joerg Sonnenberger
<joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:

>On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 09:15:18AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>>The freeze for the next pkgsrc branch, 2013Q3, is scheduled to start
>>on Sunday, September 15, at 22:00 UTC, and expected to last for two
>>weeks, as usual.
>
>I think it is time again to prune some PostgreSQL versions. So I would
>like to kill 8.4 and 9.0 now and change the default version to 9.2.

Does such desire to purge come from as a bulk builder?
Because you are not maintaining PostgreSQL packages so I guess that
it is not came from reducing cost of maintenance.

It also comes as a cost for pkgsrc-security and releng.

As a member of pkgsrc-security, I feel so notable cost about PostgreSQL,
and then, it is rare that PostgreSQL related pullup is requested.

>At the same time, I would like to change the default Motif implementation
>unconditionally to x11/motif.

Before it, mk/motif.buildlink3.mk must be fixed first.
It will  not work as expected after update of x11/openmotif
(failed to detect installed openmotif package) and import of x11/motif
(no way to detect installed motif package).
MOTIF_TYPE_DEFAULT=dt with X!!_TYPE=modular is bad combination, should be
rejected.
...and so on...

My plan was to rip out the automatic detection completely. Given the
legal issues, it wasn't an option before with openmotif. But now, I
don't see a reason for not wanting x11/motif.

reason for not waiting x11/motif are:
* If X11_TYPE=native, builtin motif also should be preferred
* If any of motif is already installed from pkgsrc, it should be preferred.

But I have no objection to drop lestiff/openmotif from pkgsrc.
--
OBATA Akio / obache%NetBSD.org@localhost