Re: Gtk-WARNING issues after upgrading packages (SOLVED)

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 02:51:55PM -0500, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
 > ---May 11 12:49:46: installing gdk-pixbuf2-2.26.5nb2...
 > Shared object "libffi.so.6" not found
 > ---May 11 12:49:46: installing cairo-1.12.14nb1...
 > pkg_add: A different version of cairo-1.12.14nb1 is already installed:
 > cairo-1.12.14nb1
 >
 > I suspect that was the cause of the problem.  Perhaps pkgin didn't
 > install the packaged in the proper order.

When a library soname gets bumped, there's a window between the commit
of the library package and the revbump of the packages that use it. If
you update during this window you can end up with packages whose deps
are satisfied but whose shared libs don't actually work. Is it
possible that this is what happened?

It shouldn't happen on the stable branch, because shared lib bumps
aren't supposed to be pulled up to stable branches, and if you do
source builds and do a full pkg_rr or otherwise recompile all
UNSAFE_DEPENDS, you'll always have properly linked packages. Other
combinations might get tripped up.

I know there's some machinery in the package tools for also validating
shared library references like this, but as I recall it's not finished
or not enabled by default or something like that.

Anyway you should be able to recover from this by forcibly updating or
recompiling libffi and then resolving the resulting UNSAFE_DEPENDS;
unfortunately because glib2 depends on libffi, this requires
recompiling nearly everything. :-/

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost