Re: pkgsrc on Mac OS

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Steve <steve%unixnation.net@localhost> wrote:
Hi,

I am just wondering if it is worth going to the trouble of setting up a
separate partition/disk image etc. with a case sensative filesystem,
purely for use with pkgsrc? A new partition on the existing disk might
be quite a bit of effort and I don't have a spare disk to install.

I understand that "a few" packages don't build on case-insensitive
filesystems but that in general it's not a major issue as long as you
use the correct flag when bootstrapping?

Any advice or info on others' experiences greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

I ran pkgsrc for a while under 10.7/10.8 out of my home directory (~/pkg and ~/pkgsrc.) I didn't run into any case-sensitivity issues using the "normal" stuff, latex, scipy, numpy. I'm not sure what these days still requires a case sensitive filesystem.