stop/suspend audio dev

Hi List,
in vain I try to solve some problem between two audio programs.

Scenario:
- xine is running, using audio output
- mpg123 needs audio output, produces an error ('failed to open audio
  device'

So I tried to send xine a $kill -SIGSTOP pid. Though it holds and
suspends xine as it should, I cannot use the audio output for mpg123.

Is there any way for mpg123 to get temporary control of the audio output
without killing xine? So that after leaving mpg123 I can continue xine
where it stopped before?

All ideas welcome, thanks!
herb langhans