Conflict between binary packages and source packages

I recently installed NetBSD 5.1.2 on an i686 system, installed a
number of binary packages, including a basic X configuration, plus
openbox, xfce4, Firefox, Pidgin, geeqie, and so on. Then I tried to
install LAMP packages from sources, and found a conflict between a
binary package and a package that was compiled during the PHP build:

When I tried to build and install PHP when trying to install LAMP
(according to how_to_install_a_lamp_server on the netbsd wiki), I got
the following failure message:

===> Install binary package of libxml2-2.8.0nb2
pkg_add: A different version of libxml2-2.8.0nb2 is already installed:
libxml2-2.7.8nb10
pkg_add: 1 package addition failed
*** Error code 1

I couldn't delete the old libxml2 since it is required by various other
installed packages such as openbox, various xfce4 packages, etc.

Some system info:
System running on bsd.xxx:
NetBSD 5.1.2 i386
NetBSD 5.1.2 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Feb 2 17:22:10 UTC 2012
builds%b6.netbsd.org@localhost:/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-2-RELEASE/i386/201202021012Z-obj/home/builds/ab/netbsd-5-1-2-RELEASE/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
MemTotal: 2016380 kB
MemFree: 1585288 kB

My pkgsrc-supfile looks like
*default tag=.
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default umask=002
*default host=cvsup.us.netbsd.org
*default base=/home/peter

netbsd-pkgsrc

At that point, I had installed .xfce4 and openbox as binary packaged.

After that, I tried to resolve the conflict by deleting a number of
conflicting libraries; as a result, I could finish building PHP and
the php-mysql library. Having done that, I could restart the Apache
server and view .php pages from a browser on another system.

BUT, I couldn't start X any more, either with openbox or xfce4 enabled.

The basic problem is that binary PKG packages that I was installing
from initally and the PKGSRC sources where I got the source files were
not in sync.

My question is: How to I make sure my sources for binary and source
packages are compatible? It's clear that at least the LAMP stuff has
to be compiled from source, as in FreeBSD, since the binary for
php-mysql.so is not supplied.

BTW when I did the initial install from the CD, I installed all the
binary packages on that disk, including www packages

Peter
That's why you have a UNIX or Linux or BSD server for backups.
http://whylinuxisbetter.net/
http://releases.ubuntu.com/
http://netbsd.org/