Re: Font dependencies

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:05:10AM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> herbert langhans <w3%langhans.com.pl@localhost> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 11:13:52PM +0400, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
> >>
> >> I have found that after I have updated my system yesterday,
> >> I've got Firefox and Thunderbird not rendering Cyrillic glyphs.
> >> The problem was fixed by installation of fonts/dejavu-ttf,
> >> and after I've grepped contents of firefox-13.0nb1 package
> >> I have found several references to this font.
> >> Installation of dejavu-ttf has fixed the same Thunderbird problem as well.
> >>

> >> This prompts the question:
> >>
> >> Should dejavu-ttf be made dependency of Firefox and Thunderbird packages?
> >>

> >> It becomes a real nightmare to use Firefox in Russia. Note, that it
> >> becomes rather hard to get out of that due to all those fancy GeoIP
> >> tricks Google uses. (That's besides inability to read your own mail
> >> in Thunderbird.)
> >
> > Maybe a firefox-cyrillic package would be practical thing. If you have
> > cyrillic ttfs in your fonts collection, they can be disturbing since
> > they appear in all the other programs too (if you never use them, like
> > in western europe).
>
> I don't know how it affects other users, perhaps all users of non-Latin
> scripts are affected equally.
>

> --
> HE CE3OH...

.. or just propose a cyrillic-package for all affected programs. There
might be more then just the firefox fonts I can imagine. If you can
remember the necessary fonts and other goodies for Russian browsers,
editors and such programs it would be a good idea to make a list. And it
won't be so difficult too find a package maintainer who creates a
meta-package for all the required things.

Just an idea.
Cheers
herbs