Re: binary for mplayer on ftp://

"OBATA Akio" <obache%netbsd.org@localhost> writes:

> http://people.debian.org/~mjr/legal/mplayer.html
>
> "large part of the codecs" provide no useful information.
> AAC? , from audio/faad2 package and we can disabled by default.
> MPEG?, from audio/lame and it is used by mplayer/mencoder package,
>        no reason to restrict mplayer package.
> codecs from ffmpeg? we can switch to use multimedia/ffmpeg,
>        and multimedia/ffmpeg package is not restricted.

I am not really clear on the details, but it seems a process of making
dependencies optional and disabling dependencies by default if they lead
to NO_*_ON_* issues is reasonable.  I'm not sure how that's going to end
up, but it seems good to begin going down the path.

It would be nice if there were more of a plugin notion for mplayer, so
that the core would be 100% clearly legal-clean, but it seems that isn't
the case at least the way it's in pkgsrc.