Re: binary for mplayer on ftp://

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:34:18 +0900, Aleksey Cheusov <>

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Benny Siegert <>
On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:18 PM, OBATA Akio <> wrote:
And internal libcvdcss will not be used to build (unless
then it is not a reason to restrict binary packages.

Any other comments?

Yes. Even without DVD encryption support, a large part of the codecs
are covered by patents. Distributing mplayer binaries is a legal

Debian Linux somehow distributes mplayer, probably limited.

Can we do the same?

"large part of the codecs" provide no useful information.
AAC? , from audio/faad2 package and we can disabled by default.
MPEG?, from audio/lame and it is used by mplayer/mencoder package,
       no reason to restrict mplayer package.
codecs from ffmpeg? we can switch to use multimedia/ffmpeg,
       and multimedia/ffmpeg package is not restricted.

OBATA Akio /