Re: PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=YES be default?

Steven Drake <sbd%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>
>> "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> writes:
>>
>> > What is more user friendly -- needed rc.d scripts not installed or
>> > unneeded rc.d scripts installed but disabled?
>>
>> We don't have necessary support in place, first of all.
>>
>> First, it should install into separate subdirectory different from /etc/rc.d,
>> Default RCD_SCRIPTS_DIR should be changed before anything else so that
>> packages don't overwrite system startup scripts.
>
> The install scripts won't overwrite any file if it already exists.

Chaotic mix of system and package startup scripts is horrible idea still.

>> Second, pkgsrc tools should deal with directory installation somehow.
>
> Already do.
>
>> Also, they should support selection of whether user wants startup
>> scripts installed. I don't see anything related neither in pkg_add(1)
>> nor in pkg_install.conf(5).
>
> This can already be done by setting PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=no in the environment
> before running pkg_add.

No, this is not acceptable. It is way too easy to skip this assignment,
it is more than just annoying inconvenience in contrast to the wish of
setting PKG_RCD_SCRIPTS=yes in mk.conf and environment.

By the way, there's another problem I forgot. We don't provide default
value for rcvar, but we do emit warning. Thus any automatically installed
script forces sysadmin to introduce pointless assignments into rc.conf.
Both, providing default values and not providing them while dropping any
scripts into rc.d are far from being clean solution.

Another question is what is proposed way to deal with Solaris and Linux.
Such divergence in behaviour between systems isn't clean either.

--
HE CE3OH...