Re: make update

On Thu, 24 May 2012, David Holland wrote:

> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 08:53:12AM -0500, Tim Larson wrote:
>  > > ...which is why there's a minor cottage industry producing tools for
>  > > updating your pkgsrc packages.
>  >
>  > It would be terrific if the Pkgsrc Guide at least outlined the
>  > differences between the various tools in regards to performs
>  > updates.  Knowing which one to use is really not obvious.
>
> I doubt any one person knows enough to write that section, but we
> certainly ought to have it. Hrm...

I recall I started a page on this iin the old wiki. Now I see in the new
wiki:

http://wiki.netbsd.org/pkgsrc/how_to_upgrade_packages/

It mentions around 15 techniques.

It may need to mention some negatives and problems for some; and also
add pkgin and pkgnih.

By the way, some other operating systems using pkgsrc mostly suggest a
standard way: pkgin for installing, upgrades, etc. They provide pkgin
and they provide their repo of packages.