cairo issues on mac os x 10.7, ABI=32

I am building pkgsrc head on a year-old 10.7 mac (running in x86_64
mode).  pkgsrc defaults to ABI=32 for macs, and this has been working
almost entirely ok.   But, building cairo results in x86_64 .o files in
$WRKDIR, and those don't get added to the .dylib because they are the
wrong arch.   cairo installs, but the build of pango fails because lots
of symbols are missing (all of them, really).

glib2, on the other hand, builds for i386 with no issues.

This has been happening for most of a year, but I hadn't managed to
track it down until recently.

I wonder if the build of cairo is leaking around the wrappers?
Or is the clang-gcc installed as gcc funky? or ?