Re: Best way to tweak PLIST on version bump

On 4. 3. 2012, at 17:38, Mayuresh wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 04, 2012 at 09:34:05PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
>> 1. Shall I use make print-PLIST to generate a new PLIST or there is any
>> other manual method to be followed?
>
> PS: I used print-PLIST method and the output looked "reasonably correct"
> to me and the install worked, too. But I am not sure what exactly one
> should watch for to ensure PLIST is correct.

Beware situations where there were variables used in the original PLIST
(PLIST_VARS or PLIST_SUBST) that the print-PLIST target won't recognize and
re-use. Similarwise, situations where print-PLIST will introduce substitutions
that are invalid in the context (e.g. ${MACHINE_ARCH} for 'i386' that is not
really architecture relative).

I can't remember anything else I've seen.

>> 2. After tweaking PLIST, do I have to run make clean and build again and
>> then install? Can't I just make install target refer to new PLIST?
>
> That's really painful. You have a build and a new PLIST, why do you have
> to clean the build and start all over again? Hope there is a short cut.

I don't think there is an official workaround for this. I tend to 'rm -rf
${WRKDIR}/.{destdir,install,PLIST}* ' when troubleshooting PLIST issues, which
seems to work well enough (in that you get a new stage-install run with a new
PLIST), but only as far as PLIST is concerned. You should always re-build from
scratch to get a production quality package. (I've hit problems when I didn't.)

-F