Re: Fwd: Couple of questions about kde 4.8 in pkg-wip

On Monday 06 February 2012 00:05:09 Mark Davies wrote:
> On Monday 06 February 2012 09:54:16 Dave Tyson wrote:
> > After a couple of minor issues I managed to get the kde 4.8 package
> > installed and tried out a few things. I noticed that kmail failed to
> > work because akonadi couldn't find mysql. A bit of poking around showed
> > that akonadi 1.7 in wip doesnt have any buildlink statments for
> > qt4-mysql and mysql-server which would account for the problem.
>
> akonadi in wip defaults to sqlite.  If you want to use mysql you need to
> set the mysql option.
>
> > Is there a reason why kdepim4 and kdepim-runtime4 are back release
> > compared to the rest of the components?
>
> Because kmail2 doesn't work well in my environment, there are lots of
> issues with it discussed on the kdepim mailing list, and Sverre had issues
> when he tried it recently.  At some point I'll probably make it possible
> to either use the latest kdepim or the current 4.4 one but I'm in no hurry
> to use kmail2.
>
> cheers
> mark

Hi Sverre & Mark,

Thanks for the quick replies and the explanation about kmail2 issues. Looking
at the config file in wip/akonadi I did wonder if it was defaulting to sqlite,
but reading some of the kmail threads it seemed that sqllite caused a few
problems. Maybe this is no longer true and I would be happy to get rid of
mysql as I tend to use postgresql for other applications... I'll poke around
in my akonadi config and get it to use sqlite and have another play tonight.

It sounds like its probably worth waiting for another few months for the next
release point before trying kmail2..

Cheers,
Dave
Phone: 07805784357