Re: Migrating ports from XFree86 to Xorg (Was: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms)

> i think tsutsui has ews4800mips and newsmips support either
> working or in the works.

The rest work is to prepare XKB files for EWS4800
in xsrc/external/mit/xkeyboard-config/dist,
but it looks currently "XkbModel" options in xorg.conf
doesn't work, at least on hpcarm W-ZERO3 machines.
(any other machines that require XkbModel other than the default pc105?)

Anyway, I'm really tired to fix ancient mips ports
since they have been broken again and again.
(and I know all mips ports except mips64 are tier II)

> alpha xorg doesn't work for tga cards, and there is no support
> for the turbochannel cards.  (someone send a pmax to mac ;)

GXemul can run XdecNetBSD BTW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afh1ECLWac8

IIRC XdecNetBSD is sane enough (using mmap via ttyE0?) and
it also worked on my Express5800/230 with TGA running NetBSD/arc 5.1
with small mips quirks.

We should check if we can build the similar servers
in src/external/mit/xorg/server/xorg-server/hw/netbsd
as we did in src/x11/Xserver/hw/netbsd, according to definitions
in src/external/mit/xorg/server/xorg-server/Makefile.common?

> i'm not really aware of anyone else who cares about these X
> servers.  probably we should remove them after netbsd-6 is
> branched (and the whole xfree tree itself.)

Well, X11R6 server on sun3 bwtwo was demonstrated at
Open Source Conference 2001 Kyoto
http://www.ceres.dti.ne.jp/tsutsui/osc2011kyoto/index.html
and I'll also exhibit X68k server at the next OSC 2011 Hiroshima ;-p

The only thing we need in /usr/X11R6 is Xserver (and necessary libs)
and all things pkgsrc requires are X11R7 client binaries, so it could
be a compromise to prepare "Xserver only" build framework or
binary packages which provide working (old) Xservers for orphand ports.

X11R6 Xserver + X11R7 binaries work fine on x68k here,
and old XF68_FBDev server from NetBSD 1.6 also worked
on TT030 running NetBSD/atari 5.1.

---
Izumi Tsutsui