Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

At Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:33:45 -0700, jnemeth%victoria.tc.ca@localhost (John
Nemeth) wrote:
Subject: Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some
platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

>     Yes, of course that is going to make a difference.  My comment
> obviously applies to NetBSD-4 as shipped, not some custom hybrid.

Hmmm....  The code I build on NetBSD-4 from HEAD of xsrc is almost
identical to what's on the netbsd-4 branch of xsrc.

All I do is set these in etc/mk.conf:

        X11SRCDIR ?=    /usr/xsrc-current
        MKX11 ?=        yes

So as a result ${X11SRCDIR.xc} is still ${X11SRCDIR}/xfree/xc.

I.e. it's all just Xfree86 4.2.0 in both netbsd-4 and HEAD of xsrc.

Yes, there is xsrc/external/mit in xsrc-current, but I haven't touched
it yet on NetBSD-4.

A "diff -x CVS xsrc-4/xfree/xc/lib xsrc-current/xfree/xc/lib" produces
just 88 lines of output.  Most of those changes are C syntax corrections
(while a few are bug fixes) but none contain any semantic changes.
I.e. none of those changes affect the X11 library APIs in any way
whatsoever.

That's hardly a "custom hybrid", at least for the components in
question.  (So I take back my "I don't know if it makes any difference"
because now I know that it does not.)

So, I'm still not sure I understand why you consider netbsd-4's native
X11 to be impossible to use with anything "remotely fancy" in terms of
current X11 packages.  I haven't noticed any problem with it yet.

Note I'm not actually trying to say that pkgsrc shouldn't switch to
using its own X11 libraries entirely on NetBSD-4 if that is actually
necessary -- I'm just extremely curious as to what difference it would
make.  For my admittedly limited experience with X11 stuff from pkgsrc
it hasn't made any difference for me yet.  I don't build KDE4 either
though. :-)

BTW, as far as I can tell NetBSD-5 is already using the newer Xorg code
as the "native" X11 on a few platforms, and if I'm not mistaken that is
what pkgsrc refers to as "modular", so at least for amd64, i386, macppc,
sgimips, shark, and sparc64 there is no need to use X11_TYPE=modular on
NetBSD-5 since X11_TYPE=native is effectively the same thing but without
the extra bloat.  (All other netbsd-5 platforms are still using XFree86
as their "native" X11 though.)

--
                                                Greg A. Woods
                                                Planix, Inc.