Re: Changing default X11_TYPE from native to modular for some platforms (Was: What platforms work with X11_TYPE=native)

On Feb 5,  6:48am, "Greg A. Woods" wrote:
} At Tue, 13 Sep 2011 12:35:48 -0700, jnemeth%victoria.tc.ca@localhost (John
Nemeth) wrote:
}
} >      X11 on NetBSD-4 is very old.  You can only build basic apps
} > against it.  If you try to build anything even remotely fancy, it will
} > probably fail.  I think NetBSD-4 should probably be switched to
} > modular.
}
} I'm not quite sure I understand your claim John.
}
} I have successfully built "lots" of "modern" applications, via pkgsrc,
} and linked them against the X11 libraries supplied by the native NetBSD
} xsrc, and they seem to run fine as well.
}
} When I say "lots" I don't mean all of those in pkgsrc, but certainly
} quite a few, and they're as modern as whatever is current in pgksrc.
}
} I don't know if it makes any difference that I actually use xsrc-current
} with NetBSD-4 (and NetBSD-5), but if it does, well there you go.  :-)

    Yes, of course that is going to make a difference.  My comment
obviously applies to NetBSD-4 as shipped, not some custom hybrid.

}-- End of excerpt from "Greg A. Woods"