Re: Tor Browser Bundle?

(I am not subscribed to this list, so please cc me in replies.)

   Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:25:50 -0400
   From: Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>

   I'm curious what others think about incorporating the TBB changes into
   our regular pkgsrc packages, or packaging TBB, or ??

I would suggest trying to package it separately.  Users (such as me)
are likely to want two different Firefox instances, one set up for Tor
and one not.  (The `toggle Tor' button idea turns out to work very
badly.)  I doubt whether the distinction can be usefully reduced to
switching between Firefox profiles.

Independently, it may also be worthwhile to include some of the TBB's
patches to Firefox in our patches, if they are not related to Tor but
do fix real problems.  I haven't looked at the TBB's patches, though,
so I don't know whether there are any matching those criteria.

Apropos of which, it may be worth talking with the Tor folks about

https://svn.torproject.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/projects/roadmaps/proposed-package-roadmap.txt?view=co

and how we package Tor or want to package it.  In the long run, I
think I would prefer to see net/tor with several configuration files
in ${EGDIR}/tor -- for a bridge, a client, an exit, and a relay --; a
separate package for Vidalia, another for arm, another for the hacked-
up Firefox; and maybe a metapackage for `everything Tor'.