Re: Advice sought: which X11 for NetBSD 5.* (going forward) ??

On 7 September 2011 15:35, Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:

> Robert Elz <kre%munnari.OZ.AU@localhost> writes:
>
>> I'm wondering, as there doesn't eem to be any immediate effort towatds
>> fixing stuff with the x11_xcb problem (like x11/startup-notification)
>> that compile fine with modular X-org, but fail on NetBSD 5 native X11.
>> (It is kind of weird to have packages that build on NetBSD 4, where I
>> am using modular Xorg, and fail on NetBSD 5)
>
> But, it seems that modular (pkgsrc) xorg libX11 now has support for
> libxcb, whereas netbsd-5 xorg does not.  I'm guessing that's nontrivial
> to fix, requiring pulling up a lot of xorg things to netbsd-5.

Either pkgsrc needs to be able to build against native X11 for
netbsd-5, or it needs to default to using modular for netbsd-5.

If the X in netbsd-5 is too old then its too old, all the more reason
to ensure its fixed in current ready for netbsd-6.