Re: perl5 broken on ubuntu?

(Sorry, should have send this to the list.)

Op 27-07-11 16:48, Tom Spindler schreef:
>> I'm having trouble installing pkglint which requires perl5, because perl
>> has build errors (actually, *link* errors).
>
> From the PR:
>
> 221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 14789 kbytes.
> 221 Logout.
> ===> Building for perl-5.12.2nb2
> ./miniperl -Ilib make_ext.pl cpan/Archive-Extract/pm_to_blib
> MAKE=/private/home/dennis/pkg/bin/bmake LIBPERL_A=libperl.a
>       Making Archive::Extract (all)
>
> That's pretty strongly indicative of a prior compilation; have you tried
> `cd ../../lang/perl5; make clean`?

Hi Tom,

thanks for taking the time to respond. I did in fact try several times
but I get consistent failures even starting with a clean slate.

The text in the report was probably copy-pasted from a repeated attempt,
after adding '-lm -lpthread' the miniperl build command manually. Sorry
for the confusion there.

The failing command in a clean build is
> gcc -Wl,-R/private/home/dennis/pkg/lib -L/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/lib
> -Wl,-R/private/home/dennis/pkg/lib -fstack-protector -o miniperl \
>             gv.o toke.o perly.o pad.o regcomp.o dump.o util.o mg.o reentr.o
> mro.o hv.o av.o run.o pp_hot.o sv.o pp.o scope.o pp_ctl.o pp_sys.o doop.o
> doio.o regexec.o utf8.o taint.o deb.o universal.o globals.o perlio.o
> perlapi.o numeric.o mathoms.o locale.o pp_pack.o pp_sort.o   \
>           miniperlmain.o opmini.o perlmini.o

It results in several undefined references in the pthread and math
libraries. I noticed that the Makefile contains a line
libs =
and if I change that to
libs = -lm -lpthread
I can run 'make' manually and move the build on several stages. But to
build the perl binary I also need to add '-lrt' to the ext.libs file.

Not being an expert here, it looks like the configure stage fails to
recognise the need to link with these extra libraries...

Cheers,

Dennis
--
D.H. van Dok :: Software Engineer :: www.nikhef.nl :: www.biggrid.nl