How to remove all packages?

I've tried to upgrade a NetBSD/amd64 5.0.1 machine which had the x11/kdebase3 package from a a couple of years ago installed to NetBSD/amd64 5.1 with x11/kdebase4-4.5.4 from the 2010Q4 package collection, but something has gone wrong and KDE doesn't work properly.

I'd now like to start from scratch as far as the packages go but without reinstalling NetBSD itself. Will deleting these directories:

/usr/pkg
/var/db/pkg
/var/db/pkg.refcount

completely remove the packages that were installed and any reference to them?

Ray