Re: recent ccache trouble?

Dear Greg,

At Tue, 29 Mar 2011 08:58:46 -0400,
Greg Troxel wrote:

> I have a mac with 10.6.7, using mostly default pkgsrc settings, so
> -m32.  Packages are basically all ok.
>
> I have:
>
> PKGSRC_COMPILER=      ccache gcc
> CCACHE_DIR=           /Users/gdt/.ccache
>
> in mk.conf.  However, I seem to get only cache misses.  In
> graphics/xplot-devel, after just building, I did ccache -z to clear the
> stats, and then built again, getting the following.
>
> gdt 97 /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/xplot-devel > ccache -s
> cache directory                     /Users/gdt/.ccache
> cache hit (direct)                     0
> cache hit (preprocessed)               0
> cache miss                            18
> called for link                        1
> autoconf compile/link                 11
> unsupported compiler option            6
> no input file                          3
> files in cache                      2256
> cache size                          10.1 Mbytes
> max cache size                      10.0 Gbytes
>
> On NetBSD/i386 5.1ish, I instead get:
>
> cache directory                     /home/gdt/.ccache
> cache hit (direct)                     0
> cache hit (preprocessed)               3
> cache miss                            15
> called for link                        1
> autoconf compile/link                  6
> unsupported compiler option            8
> no input file                          3
> files in cache                    698752
> cache size                           7.5 Gbytes
> max cache size                      10.0 Gbytes
>
> My memory is that until at least recently ccache used to be very
> effective at caching pkgsrc builds.
>
> Any clues?  I have "ccache version 3.1.4"; perhaps this is a regression
> From 2.4?

I tried recreating the behavior, but after the first compile of
graphics/xplot-devel

marko@prpad:xplot-devel% CCACHE_DIR=~/.ccache ccache -s
cache directory                     /home/marko/.ccache
cache hit (direct)                     0
cache hit (preprocessed)               0
cache miss                            18
called for link                        1
autoconf compile/link                  6
unsupported compiler option            8
no input file                          3
files in cache                        41
cache size                           208 Kbytes
max cache size                       1.0 Gbytes

marko@prpad:xplot-devel% make clean && make
[..]

marko@prpad:xplot-devel% CCACHE_DIR=~/.ccache ccache -s
cache directory                     /home/marko/.ccache
cache hit (direct)                    17
cache hit (preprocessed)               1
cache miss                            18
called for link                        2
autoconf compile/link                 12
unsupported compiler option           16
no input file                          6
files in cache                        41
cache size                           208 Kbytes
max cache size                       1.0 Gbytes

marko@prpad:xplot-devel% ccache -V
ccache version 3.1.4
[..]

Best regards,