How to set individual package options?

I've been reading through the pkgsrc guide but couldn't find how to set build
options for the various packages.

FreeBSD ports collection shows a color text dialog box for each port to be
built that has options.  User navigates with up- and down-arrows, Space, Tab
and Enter.  One downside is not always knowing which key to press between
Space, Tab and Enter and then not getting the desired options before the port
starts to build.  Another downside is when a port has dependencies with
options, then the build is interrupted for dialog-box input, for possibly hours
at a time if the user is not watching continuously.  Question is how pkgsrc
handles that, like for instance if I want to build editors/abiword or
math/gnumeric.  I know both of these packages have dependencies, some may have
user-configurable options.

I downloaded pkgsrc in NetBSD 5.1_RC4 and unpacked, haven't got to use yet,
have been looking through and ran "make show-options".

Tom