Re: The correct way to configure compiler flags.

It's just a small gotcha, but I think putting a short blurb at the top
of mk.conf(5) about its dual purpose (including mention of the
BSD_PKG_MK variable) would help.  Looking at it again, the list headers
hint at a distinction between system and pkgsrc variables, but a more
explicit description of the situation is probably appropriate.

I'll leave it to somebody else with a greater clue to do the writeup if
they agree that mk.conf(5) could be improved.