Re: pkgsrc quarterly vs. current?

from "Francisco Valladolid" <ficovh%gmail.com@localhost>:

> NetBSD offer freedom to you, and pkgsrc also.
> pkgsrc-quarterly offer a stable tree with a binary packages available
> for inmediately use, without compile individually.
> pkgsrc-current change daily, is more dynamic and maybe, some packages
> contains bugs or are broken, use under your own responsability.

> Te reason is the development cycle, all software project as one and
> pkgsrc is not the exception.

A user is under his/her own responsibility whether using a stable or nonstable
version.  Notice those non-warranty disclaimers?

With pkgsrc, I believe stability would depend on the application in question
rather than pkgsrc version, current or quarterly.

I was thinking, one reason for pkgsrc quarterly version might be to make CDs
for sale by companies that sell open-source software CDs and DVDs: useful for
users without broadband Internet.  Downloading all files needed to install
NetBSD, or other BSD or Linux, at 56 Kbps dialup, and then downloading enough
applications for a useful system, either source or already compiled, would be
prohibitively slow.

There are other source-based package-management systems besides pkgsrc, such as
FreeBSD ports and Gentoo Linux portage.  While FreeBSD ports tree has only the
current version, one can download extra FreeBSD CD images or the DVD image and
get prebuilt packages with each FreeBSD release, which might be roughly
compared to NetBSD pkgsrc quarterly.  I tried that with FreeBSD 6.2, and KDE,
Konqueror, and GNOME didn't work right; there was no konqueror, and no startx
either.  Or maybe the messup came from upgrading FreeBSD to 7.0.

With many Linux distributions, binary-based, packages are installed with the
whole OS, and, except for security updates, only updated with each new release
of the distribution.  Some users might feel fettered that way.

What happens if one tries to build a package from pkgsrc quarterly that has
subsequently been upgraded so that the distfile would no longer match?  Or does
pkgsrc quarterly keep all distfiles on the NetBSD and mirror servers?  FreeBSD
ports collection does not include distfiles, which must be fetched whenever a
package is built.

Tom