OpenOffice and Java goose chase

Trying to build packages, woe me.
I have built NetBSD 5.1RC4 and am now in the process of building a bunch of
OpenOffice built OK without java, now I am trying to build with java, but I
get an error:
ERROR: error 65280 occurred while making

Attention: if you build and deliver the above module(s) you may prolongue your
the build issuing command "build --from sandbox"

rmdir /tmp/4068
*** Error code 1

make: stopped in /usr/netbsdsrc/pkgsrc/misc/openoffice3
*** Error code 1

A quick search indicates this may be a problem with Java 1.7. As I have had
other problems with openjdk7 in the past (not being able to use my netbanking
for half a year for example) I figure I may as well try to get Java 1.5 to
work instead.

I proceed to try to install wip/jdk15, which seems to be the way to get it
these days.
First I stumble upon the requirement to install sun-jdk as a prerequisite.
I have a scsl-jdk15 binary package lying around from an earlier system,
try to install that.
Resume build of wip/jdk15, and scsl-jdk15 seems to at least get me past the
check for an existing jdk installation.

bin/mkdir -p
===> Creating toolchain wrappers for jdk15-
ERROR: gcc3-c>=3.0 is not installed; can't buildlink files.
*** Error code 1

make: stopped in /usr/netbsdsrc/pkgsrc/wip/jdk15
*** Error code 1

Now what? This is on Netbsd 5.1RC4, gcc is version 4.something??

I feel I am running around in circles here. So before I waste any more effort on
this endeavor I may as well ask if anybody has managed to get something similar
to work:

Any suggestions on how to get OpenOffice3 with Java _and_ JDK 1.5 working on

On a different note, why have older Java versions been removed from "normal"