Re: Is pango still broken? (vim-gtk2 won't build)

Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:24:01PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
>> NetBSD-current xsrc got pixman-0.18.4 on Sep 14.
>> If your current is newer than that, pkgsrc should not pull in
>> x11/pixman, but use the one from xsrc.
>
> I'm a little confused: I just built an i386 world, so have new xsrc
> libpixman.so.2.1. Then pkg_delete -r pixman. There are no work.i386
> directories anywhere, so no need for any "make clean"s.
>
> At this point, if I try to pkg_rolling-replace -ruv, pixman-0.18.4
> attempts to get built - that shouldn't happen, right?
>
> I have x11-links-0.60
> Just in case, I'm doing a make replace in x11-links
>
> Now back to say
> pkg_delete -r pixman  (not there as already deleted)
> make clean in all directories containing a work.i386 directory
> cd www/firefox
> make
> dependency is gtk2 -> pango -> cairo -> pixman
>
> Odd:
> => Full dependency pixman>=0.18.4: NOT found
> => Verifying reinstall for ../../x11/pixman
>
> why "re"install?
> /usr/sbin/pkg_info pixman
> pkg_info: can't find package `pixman'
>
> So it looks to me as though I can't get around building pkgsrc pixman
> despite building a -current xsrc pixman. Is that wrong?

I have not really been following this thread because I thought it was
mostly about pango :-)

Three comments:

  with pkgsrc (with or without pkg_rr) it's hugely important to clean
  out working directories prior to building things.  Whenever I have
  trouble "rm -rf */*/work" is one of the first things I do.

  pkg_rr tries to do 'make replace' in order.  So far all "pkg_rr
  problems" have basically come down to pkg_rr getting confused about
  what to do, and an individual "make replace" not working right.  So I
  usually suggest to run pkg_rr with -n and to do each make replace
  manually, and if they fail report *that* instead of reporting a
  "pkg_rr failure".  This is not about not maligning a tool - it's about
  reducing the problem to the simplest case.

  When dependencies change around, the replace method can fail to work.