Re: Problems building database/mysql51-server on NetBSD/sparc64

On May 14, 2010, at 7:22 PM, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 09:22:31PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
>>  Has anyone else seen this?  Does anyone else have ideas of how to
>> rectify this problem?
>
> NetBSD does not provide atomic 8bit operations. It's not clear we could
> implement them on all archs, and they would be a major performance problem
> ~ everywhere.
>
> Probably best to bring this up upstream and file a pkgsrc PR about it for now.

  I haven't done this yet.  I should.  Let me try again to update my tree on a
sparc64, and try to build it, and make sure it still fails, then I'll open up a
PR.

> The 5.0 server works on sparc64, btw., mostly (it fails a few tests, but I
> never
> looked in detail).

  Okay.  So, I did build a 5.0 (mysql-server-5.0.90) and install it on my
sparc64.  But, I can't use it.  For the life of me, I can't figure out how to
access it.  No account seems to work, at least not with any password I
know/have.
  I even tried setting the password for 'root' via the --init-file= mechanism,
but I am still given "Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'" when I try to
connect (-u root, with or without a password).

  Do you have a mysql-server-5.0.* from pkgsrc running on a sparc64?  Do you
remember/know what you did after installing it, and starting it, to get it all
set up and operational?  I fear I may've missed some sort of step.  I believe I
initialized the database datastore properly, but...

           - Chris