Re: default option set for math/octave depends on non-free software

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 04:43:58PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> I read the license, and there is no "permission is granted to redistribute".
>
> Continue reading. They grant a license to USE the product to all users.
> I haven't spoken with a lawyer, but I am quite sure that I will get the
> answer that redistribution is allowed by the intention of the license.

I did continue.  As an aside, the notion of whether use is a right
reserved to copyright holders is at best unclear (it's not in the
enumerated list of reserved rights).  But, granting use to end users is
not the same as granting permission to redistribute to anyone.

If you do talk to a lawyer and get a written opinion that would be most
interesting.  But, I'm quite sure they'll tell you that no permission to
distribute is granted by that license, even if they also tell you that
you are unlikely to be hassled.