Re: default option set for math/octave depends on non-free software

Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 12:48:08PM -0500, Taylor R Campbell wrote:
>> By default, math/octave has the option hdf5 enabled, which makes it
>> depend on devel/hdf5, which in turn has the option szip enabled, which
>> makes it depend on the non-free software archivers/szip.
>
> I think the license of szip should be fixed instead. The license sounds
> strongly like no commercial use, but otherwise doesn't seem offensive.

Offensive isn't really the issue.  szip does not even come close to
qualifying as "open source" or "Free", and thus by our rules requires a
license tag.  First, it can only (according to the licenes text) be used
for hdf, and the compressor only for use which is both "non-commercial"
and "scientific".  That leaves hobby scientists as the only legitimate
users!

If by fixed, you mean asking the szip people to release the software
(and grant a patent license) under Free terms, that would be great, but
I don't see any reason to think that likely.