Re: Accessing a digital camera via gphoto2 -- any advice?

As Francisco said, you may want to mount the device instead of using PTP.

My advice is to get a USB card reader and not try to mount the camera;
that's what I do.

Most cameras at that level or above can be switched from PTP to USB Mass
Storage mode.  Change to mass storage and then you'll get
umass/scsibus/sd0 and it's just like an external disk.

I have not messed with PTP and gphoto2 in a long time - the USB
interface part may be not portable enough.