Ruby Enterprise Edition (REE) and Passenger (mod_rails)

Hi!

Ruby Enterprise Edition (http://www.rubyenterpriseedition.com/) is a fork of ruby that has some more sophisticated garbage collection and promises better 33% memory reduction and faster speeds.

I'm wondering if anyone is working on a package for this. The biggest complication I see for pkgsrc is that REE wants to install in a separate prefix so as not to pollute the space occupied by the "normal" ruby. I'm not sure how that would play out in a pkgsrc install. Perhaps either a conflict with normal ruby or a separate installation directory under ${PREFIX} and then use pkg_alternatives.

Passenger (a.k.a. mod_rails or mod_rack) is an alternative to the mongrel-based deployment of web-based ruby apps, such as rails applications. It provides an apache module and also an NGNIX module.

If nobody has attempted to package these I will do so, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel!

Any advice is welcome.

Louis