Re: openoffice dependency on firefox

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:34:03 +0100
Patrick Welche <prlw1%cam.ac.uk@localhost> wrote:

> What does the dependency of openoffice on firefox buy us? Is it "click on
> a link in an openoffice document opens a browser" or is there more to it?
>
> (On Friday there was still openoffice 3.1.0 - I haven't tried with 3.1.1
> yet - but trying to build 3.1.0 with firefox (ie 3.5.2) rather than firefox3
> (ie 3.0.13) didn't work because openoffice was looking for a pkg-config nss
> whereas a nss.m4 might work better - but then I wondered whether as firefox
> changes quite frequently, is it worth paying the long rebuild of openoffice
> every time?) (I build firefox 3.5.2 and openoffice 3.1.0 successfully without
> the dependency)

I think the right approach is to separate the "click on link" and
"gecko provider" dependencies. With gecko unconditionally provided by
devel/xulrunner and the click on link issue left as a exercise for the
openoffice maintainer. It would be nice if the browser to launch for
external URLs was run-time configurable. I don't know if it is.