Re: emacs bloat!

Adam Hoka <adam.hoka%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 10:44:32 -0400
> Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
>

>> Just a warning to all you dedicated pkg_rr users out there.  Go to
>> editors/emacs22 and do a 'make replace package clean' to avoid pulling
>> in a stunning amount of stuff, at least on systems where you aren't
>> already running gnome.
>>

>> gdt 135 /usr/pkgsrc > pkg_info emacs
>> Information for emacs-23.1:
>>
>> Comment:
>> GNU editing macros (editor)
>>
>> Requires:
>> dbus>=0.91
>> librsvg>=2.12.6nb1
>> gtk2+>=2.4.0
>> png>=1.2.4
>> jpeg>=6b
>> tiff>=3.6.1
>> libungif>=4.1.0
>> libotf>=0.9.7
>> m17n-lib>=1.5.1
>> hicolor-icon-theme>=0.4
>> desktop-file-utils>=0.8
>>

> I dont see anything gnome-ish here.

This pulls in gnome-vfs2 indirectly.

But I don't want to argue about gnome.  My point is that building emacs
on a server brings in a huge amount of stuff and is a big change from
our emacs22 package, and I'd like to change the default options to match
what emacs22 did.  We can then have a discussion on tech-pkg about
whether to increase the default dependencies.  Unless emcas23 really
needs these, but options.mk says they are options.

Information for librsvg-2.26.0:

Comment:
SVG library for GNOME2

Requires:
xdg-dirs>=1.1
glib2>=2.12.0
libgsf>=1.13.3
libxml2>=2.6.2
pango>=1.6.0
fontconfig>=2.4.2
freetype2>=2.1.8
cairo>=1.2.0
libcroco>=0.6.1
gtk2+>=2.6.0

Required by:
gnome-base-2.24.0nb2
gnome-panel-2.26.2
py25-gnome2-desktop-2.26.0nb1
nautilus-2.26.3nb1
graphviz-2.22.2
gegl-0.0.22nb2
gimp-2.6.6

librsvg is Raph's scalable vector graphics library.  It provides support for
SVG graphics, and is used by the GNOME desktop.

This package provides the librsvg library as well as some addons -- a pixbuf
loader and a theme engine -- for the GTK+ toolkit.

Homepage:
http://librsvg.sourceforge.net/

Information for libgsf-1.14.14:

Comment:
GNOME2 structured file library

Requires:
glib2>=2.4.0
libbonobo>=2.8.0
libxml2>=2.6.2
gnome-vfs>=2.8.0
GConf>=2.8.0.1

Required by:
goffice0.6-0.6.6
gnumeric-1.8.4nb2
librsvg-2.26.0

libgsf provides an efficient extensible I/O abstraction for dealing with
different structured file formats.  It has support for Microsoft OLE2
streams and Zip import.  The aim of this library is to replace libole2.

Homepage:
http://www.gnome.org/