Re: proposed reduction in graphviz dependencies

At Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:52:03 +0200,
Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 09:56:46AM +0300, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > I'd prefer separate packages where possible instead of options. It's much
> > more usable for end users using both source and binary packages. Without
> > digging too much into it and looking just a PLIST file it seems to be
> > doable for most of graphviz options.
>
> Often enough separate packages are insanely more work, especially if you
> want to keep the overhead small. E.g. graphics/evas in the current form
> has to rerun configure for every single plugin. That's problematic too.

<dreams>

Ideally, I'd even like to see some larger packages broken down to
"service-oriented packages" where the package provides only those
services another package requires. This isn't a goal that pkgsrc alone
can achieve - it will require changes upstream, but I do think it
serves as a good guide...

As to the test obligations: automated tests triggered before commit
and/or triggered before pkg_add would go a long way...

</dreams>

Marko