Re: [rant] Too many dependencies

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 07:00:42AM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> The big bug here is librsvg depending on libgsf depending on gnome.  A
> file format library should not drag in a desktop environment.  But if it
> reallydoes depend on all that, then maybe the rsvg option to graphviz
> should be taken out of the default.

librsvg depends on libgsf for svgz (compressed svg) support.
libgsf depends on gnome-vfs (needs GConf and hal) and GConf.
That's not the whole desktop environment :)

We could make svgz support a default-on option for librsvg to trim
down the tree for those who prefer less dependencies...

> In the case of graphviz, I think most of the extension languages should
> be off by default, becuase I've never heard of anyone using them.  That
> would get rid of ocaml, lua, and tk/tcl.

Or make them default-off options or separate packages...
 Thomas