Re: LICENSE= gnu-gpl-v2

  I found that net/wireshark (in pkgsrc-2009Q1) didn't build, because of

  LICENSE=                gnu-gpl-v2

The code to handle Free LICENSE tags was not switched on when 2009Q1 was
branched.  See mk/license.mk - the branch is at 1.11 and the enabling
commit was 1.12.  So therefore it's a bug in net/wireshark/Makefile to
have this line.  This happened from pulling up a security fix (1.29.2.1
of net/wireshark/Makefile).  I have submitted a pullup request to fix
this.

  Isn't that incorrect? As far as I understand, you don't need to accept
  the GPL when you want to compile (or use) a GPL-covered program. Only
  when you want to distribute it.

This is a common misconception about pkgsrc and licensing due to
unfortunate variable naming.  Putting a license tag in
ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES doesn't mean (to me) that a human is "accepting a
license" in the sense of entering into a contract.  It means simply that
the license is added to the set of licenses for which pkgsrc will not
decline to build programs.  I would like to change the word but finding
something that captures this notion and isn't awkward is hard.
PKGSRC_NONFAIL_LICENSES doesn't seem right...

I understand the notion of contract license vs bare license and what you
said about the GPL and distibuting.  But pkgsrc's mechanism is just
"Don't build programs that have licenses not in ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES."
The user's intent, whether anybody cares about redistributing, and other
issues are all outside the scope of this simple mechanism.  The
mechanism's original purpose was "Don't build non-free code by
accident." and now it's a bit more general but still in that spirit.