PKGCHK_CONF ignored

Hi,

I've noticed as of late (within the last year) that the environment variables PKGCHK_CONF and PKGCHK_UPDATE_CONF must be set to use pkg_chk reliably if they are outside of PKGSRCDIR.

For example, I have a nfs-mounted, readonly pkgsrc tree. In mk.conf, I have...

PKGCHK_CONF=/etc/pkgchk.conf
PKGCHK_UPDATE_CONF=/etc/pkgchk-update.conf

... If I try to use pkg_chk without setting these variables explicitly in the shell, it does not look to mk.conf for the values. It used to. I think it stopped working around 2008Q1 or so.

Is this the desired behaviour for some reason or is something broken?

Any help would be great. Thanks,

Louis