pkgsrc/x11/Xfixes fails to build

pkgsrc/x11/Xfixes fails to build on my FreeBSD 7 system:

checking for fixesext >= 2.0... Package fixesext was not found in the pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing `fixesext.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable No package 'fixesext' found configure: error: Library requirements (fixesext >= 2.0) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
*** Error code 1

X11_TYPE is native.
Does this imply that fixesext.pc is supposed to be supplied by FreeBSD, not by pkgsrc?

Looking at pkg/31086, I could work around the issue setting PREFER.fixesproto=pkgsrc. Nevertheless I wonder why this seems to be necessary.

Georg Schwarz  +49 151 11559652