irssi picks up wrong glib on Linux (64bit)

Building irssi on a 64bit Debian system, I get an error that a compiled program gets a different shared lib loaded than what pkg-config says (see configure log below). The claim is corrent, and as far as I can tell it arises from LDFLAGS having -Wl,-R/usr/lib64 before -Wl,-R/my/pkgs/lib. If i reverse that things build fine.

Now I've traced things far enough that those LDFLAG settings are already passed to the configure script from pkgsrc (as "-L/usr/lib64 -Wl,-R/usr/lib64 -Wl,-R/my/pkgs/lib"), but from that point I'm at a complete loss on where pkgsrc is pulling its LDFLAGS from these days.

The only place that I see /usr/lib64 mentioned is pkgsrc/mk/cmake-Modules/Platform/UnixPaths.cmake, but fiddling with that didn't help (or rather, it resulted to configure claiming the C compiler can't create executables).

Has anyone seen this? How to make sure that *my* (pkgsrc...) pkgs are really searched before what's installed on the system?

 - Hubert

configure log:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.18.2, but GLIB (2.16.6)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files no
*** trying without -lgmodule
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.7... yes
checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0...
*** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.18.2, but GLIB (2.16.6)
*** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
*** to remove the old version of GLib. You may also be able to fix the error
*** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
*** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
*** required on your system.
*** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
*** to point to the correct configuration files
no

*** If you don't have GLIB, you can get it from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/glib/
*** We recommend you get the latest stable GLIB 2 version.
*** Compile and install it, and make sure pkg-config finds it,
*** by adding the path where the .pc file is located to PKG_CONFIG_PATH

configure: error: GLIB is required to build irssi.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /home/feyrer/pkgsrc/pkgsrc/chat/irssi