Re: postfix+dspam+clamav+dovecot

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:29:30 +0200
Martti Kuparinen <> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have this now running quite nicely but I get duplicate mails which is quite
> irritating. Let's assume someone sends a mail to
> To: xxx
> CC:,,
> and I'm on all those lists, why do I receive 3 mails? With my old cyrus-imapd
> based setup I only saw one mail...

You receive three messages because most common list management
software sends three copies. You didn't before because cyrus-impad has
a duplicate suppression feature that was presumably enabled. You do
now because none of the programs involved in delivering your mail have
such a feature - or have it enabled.

This doesn't seem like something either clamav nor dspam should do.
postfix probably shouldn't either - because it *should* deliver the
same message to multiple users if things are working properly, so it
would have to track both duplicates and users to do it.

dovecot would be a good place to do it - but the authors apparently
feel that the job rightly belongs to the list management software/MTA
end of things.

Your UMA may have a facility to do this. Or if it's extensible, it's
pretty trivial to check for duplicates: just store the last N
message-id headers, and throw out any messages that match that.

Mike Meyer <>

O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail -