Re: how to downgrade a ruby version from pkgsrc ?

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:46:21AM +0900, Takahiro Kambe wrote:
> In message
> <40b34c120809291316t6b641db2v874c0e82c9653dd0%mail.gmail.com@localhost>
>       on Tue, 30 Sep 2008 00:46:31 +0430,
>       "Francisco Valladolid" <ficovh%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> > I had the necessity to downgrade from the current version (1.8.7) for
> > Ruby to ruby 1.8.6, I put:
> >
> > RUBY18_VERSION=1.8.6
> >
> > in /etc/mk.conf   for forcing to the 1.8.6  it is correct ?
> No, you can't do with it since contained files in 1.8.6 and 1.8.7 are
> differ and that's not supposed use of use of RUBY18_VERSION.
> (Actually, RUBY18_VERSION set in /etc/mk.conf will be ignored.)
>
> If you want to downgrade, then you could do it with old pkgsrc tree
> from anon-CVS.
>
> Best regrads.

To clarify: the Ruby version framework was/is intended to support two different
version _branches_ at the same time (we supported both 1.6.x and 1.8.x at the
time Ruby 1.8 came out), not for individual point releases.  Right now, only
the 1.8.x branch is supported.  This framework could be used again if Ruby 2.0
comes out.

It's similar to multiple-version support for Python.

If you need an older 1.8.x release, you have to roll back to an older pkgsrc
checkout, or find older binary packages.

        Geert