Mutt-devel fails to display text correctly with ncurses

I have used the "ncurses" option with mail/mutt-devel (and mail/mutt)
for a long time, since NetBSD's own curses seemed to ignore SIGWINCH and
also it didn't know the function use_default_colors(). [ I haven't
checked recently if this is both still the case. ] This breaks resizing
the terminal window, resp. some colour setting in the .muttrc.

Now I came across some mails in KOI8-R and utf-8, discussing charset
display difficulties in Pan (a news reader). I wanted to see them in
their full glory in Mutt so I fired up an xterm in utf-8 mode.
Unfortunately it turned out that Mutt made a mess of them.

After some fiddling I found out that Mutt does display them correctly
using the option "ncursesw" instead of "ncurses".

So perhaps the "ncurses" option should be removed or at least get a
warning note attached.

I haven't checked the default "curses" or the "slang" options.

I have attached the troublesome mailbox, compressed, so that no
mysterious transcoding problems can occur.

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.