Re: Re: Looking for applets present in Linux Xandros

On Sat, Aug 30 2008 - 11:32, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:18:50 +0200 (CEST)
> "Joel CARNAT" <joel%carnat.net@localhost> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > My Eee PC runs NetBSD but I would like to use some of the graphical
> > applets that are used in the original OS (Linux Xandros). Part of a
> > "PS" output on the original system gives:
> > \_ powermonitor
> > \_ minimixer
> > \_ networkmonitor ath0 eth0
> > \_ wapmonitor
> > \_ /usr/bin/keyboardstatus
> >
> > I couldn't find a homepage projet for them using google, freshmeat nor
> > pkgsrc.se. Does anyone know if those are part of some meta package
> > and/or if they are available un pkgsrc ?
> >
> I don't know those specifically, but from their names I suspect that
> several, at least, are tied pretty closely to kernel primitives that
> NetBSD either lacks or has in very different form.  What, specifically,
> do they do?  I can make some guesses, of course.  For monitoring power
> status, I use asapm (though I'm working on fixes to make it compile on
> amd64, it's fine for i386).  There are several sound mixer applications
> in pkgsrc; I don't have a favorite.  Networkmonitor is something we're
> sorely lacking, though I've personally been frustrated by the interface
> and the bugginess in the Ubuntu 7.10 version.  What do wapmonitor and
> keyboardstatus do?

Wireless Access Point MONITOR, show available wireless networks.
keyboardstatus show status for CAPS_LOCK and NUM_LOCK.

The thing is I'm oftenly changing Windows|Desktop manager environment and
I'm trying to find non related utilities from which I can get generic
informationis not depending on which WM I run. I'm still on a quest for the
ultimate desktop environment :)

Of course GNOME, KDE and XFCE have their own applets but what happens when I
decide to give awesomewm, openbox or fluxbox a try. What's nice with those
Linux applet is that they ran in systray as soon as your WM supports it.

I was on the way for "OK Xandros does it with IceWM & co, I'm gonna do it
with IceWM, ROX-Filer & co". That's why I try finding those applets.

Regards,
        Jo