Re: Looking for applets present in Linux Xandros

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 15:18:50 +0200 (CEST)
"Joel CARNAT" <joel%carnat.net@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My Eee PC runs NetBSD but I would like to use some of the graphical
> applets that are used in the original OS (Linux Xandros). Part of a
> "PS" output on the original system gives:
> \_ powermonitor
> \_ minimixer
> \_ networkmonitor ath0 eth0
> \_ wapmonitor
> \_ /usr/bin/keyboardstatus
>
> I couldn't find a homepage projet for them using google, freshmeat nor
> pkgsrc.se. Does anyone know if those are part of some meta package
> and/or if they are available un pkgsrc ?

I don't know those specifically, but from their names I suspect that
several, at least, are tied pretty closely to kernel primitives that
NetBSD either lacks or has in very different form.  What, specifically,
do they do?  I can make some guesses, of course.  For monitoring power
status, I use asapm (though I'm working on fixes to make it compile on
amd64, it's fine for i386).  There are several sound mixer applications
in pkgsrc; I don't have a favorite.  Networkmonitor is something we're
sorely lacking, though I've personally been frustrated by the interface
and the bugginess in the Ubuntu 7.10 version.  What do wapmonitor and
keyboardstatus do?