Re: RFC: Remove of "apache2" package

Matthias Scheler wrote:
>       Hello,
>
> quoting from the announcement of Apache 2.0.63:
>
>       Apache 2.2 offers numerous enhancements, improvements, and performance
>       boosts over the 2.0 codebase. For an overview of new features
>       introduced after 2.0 please see
>
>           http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/new_features_2_2.html
>
>       We consider Apache 2.2 to be the best available version at the time of
>       this release. We offer Apache 2.0.63 as the best legacy version of
>       Apache 2.0 available. Users should first consider upgrading to the
>       current release of Apache 2.2 instead.
>
> Considering that ...
> 1.) ... the Apache foundation advises to use 2.2 instead of 2.0 ...
> 2.) ... upgrading from 2.0 to 2.2 requires none or minimal configuration
>     changes ...
> 3.) ... there have been reports about problems in the "apache2" package
>     in "pkgsrc" in the past which people resolved by using the "apache22"
>     package instead ...
> ... I would like to remove the "apache2" package from "pkgsrc".
>
> Are there any objections?
>
>       Kind regards

I'm not a fan of this.  We have numerous packages where the vendors have
even stated EoL but we still keep them (e.g. php4 and bind8).  I would
not like to see this removed.  I have apache 2 working really well and
stable for me for quite a while now with all the addins I need for it
and I don't want to upgrade to 2 just because the Apache foundation
wants me to 'consider' it and I don't think we should force our user
base to do the same thing.

Does this statement even qualify as an EoL statement ?  Have they said
anything about support for 2.x either in terms of new features or
security fixes ?

adrian.