Re: openoffice2 powerpoint problem on amd64-current

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:17:48 +0100
Nikola Lecic <nikola.lecic%anthesphoria.net@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 05:36:43 +0000
> "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to run native Openoffice2 on an amd64-current system.
> > When I try to save a presentation in Powerpoint format, it pops up
> > a box saying "Error save the document ...: Write Error.  The file
> > could not be written."  There are no other messages, and I can save
> > the file in the same directory in .odp format.  Any suggestions?
> > Not being able to generate Powerpoint is a serious problem for me.
> > (Not that I particularly want to use Powerpoint -- I create most of
> > my slides using LaTeX -- but sometimes I have to use it for
> > compatibility with others.)
> >
> > Note: this is, as I noted, native Openoffice2, which I compiled
> > myself.  Linux32 emulation isn't working well enough for me, per a
> > post the other day about acroread.
>
> Good evening Steve,
>
> I recall a very similar case with OOo2 on FreeBSD/amd64. The problem
> was a bug in gcc-4.1 used to compile it: upgrading gcc (I think to
> 4.2) and recompiling OpenOffice resolved all problems.

Interesting.  NetBSD-current has gcc-4.1.3.  I don't know about plans
to move to anything in gcc-4.2, but there was a comment in another
thread that GPLv3 issues (plus some regressions) were blocking any move
to gcc-4.2.3.