Re: Cross-compiling packages

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 09:41:54AM -0600, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> The instructions have:
>
> DEPENDS_TARGET=               package-install
>
> which -- if I understand correctly -- builds package first and then
> installs it.

Yes.

> I am confused about why it is installed. Where is it installed if the
> MACHINE_ARCH (what-to-compile-for) is different from the native build
> host?

Under CROSS_DESTDIR. It has to install the packages so that you can
include files from them or link against the libraries. The installation
is incomplete insofar as install scripts are not executed.

> Can you explain that in your howto?

I don't think it belongs into the howto.

> Also where is the package placed? Does PACKAGES need to be defined for
> this specifically? (Or does it keep the native packages separate
> from the target packages?)

All packages go into PACKAGES. It doesn't deal with native packages at
all, e.g. it effectively requires you to have them installed already.

Joerg