Re: maxima 5.14.0

On 05/01/2008, Bernd Ernesti <netbsd%lists.veego.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 10:20:07AM +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed maxima has been updated to 5.14.0. It would be nice if,
> > perhaps using the options framework, one could choose SBCL in place of
> > CLISP. It seems SBCL is substantially faster than CLISP, although this
> > probably is due to higher memory footprint (which one could argue is
> > not as important these days...).
>
> Which would unfortunally reduce maxima to only support i386 and nothing
> more (not even amd64), because sbcl is only supported on i386.

That is true, indeed the situation is worse - I have earlier written
to the list about not being able any more to bootstrap SBCL using
CLISP - I get:

7835
8126
8486
8490
8491
7897

** - Continuable Error
EVAL: undefined function HOST-CLOAD-STEM
Continue, using possibly bogus file "obj/from-host/src/compiler/policy.lisp-obj"

** - Continuable Error
EVAL: undefined function SB!VM:GENESIS
Continue, using possibly bogus file "obj/from-host/src/compiler/policy.lisp-obj"
deleted
#P"/usr/pkgsrc/lang/sbcl/work/sbcl-1.0.13/obj/from-host/src/compiler/policy.lisp-obj-tmp"
Bye.
       24.05 real        21.41 user         1.81 sys
//entering make-target-1.sh
//building runtime system and symbol table file
make: Entering directory `/usr/pkgsrc/lang/sbcl/work/sbcl-1.0.13/src/runtime'
GNUmakefile:31: genesis/Makefile.features: No such file or directory
make: *** No rule to make target `genesis/Makefile.features'.  Stop.
make: Leaving directory `/usr/pkgsrc/lang/sbcl/work/sbcl-1.0.13/src/runtime'
        0.02 real         0.00 user         0.01 sys
*** Error code 2

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/lang/sbcl
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/lang/sbcl

The Linux SBCL post supports much more architectures - see

 http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/platform-table.html

If CLISP were to succeed in building SBCL, there would be some
fighting chance to get it running on more pkgsrc
platforms/architectures. Now one can bootstrap it only on i386 using
earlier version of itself...

> Bernd

/dev/random says:
       May the Farce be with you!
Chavdar Ivanov   | Talbot Way, Small Heath Business Park
Delcam UK        | Birmingham B10 0HJ, United Kingdom
Customer Support | (+44)121-6831014