rrdtool bugs

Just a heads up, I'll report a fix if I can come up with one...
cd /usr/pkgsrc/databases/rrdtool && make install
before that failed there was garbage in the output????
pkgsrc-2007Q3 fresh as can be, nothing funny in mk.conf
I do have a /usr/pkg/lib/pkgconfig/libart-2.0.pc file
and I tried
cd /usr/pkg/include/ && ln -s libart-2.0/libart_lgpl .
but it looks like something is getting a directory when
it is expecting a file. attaching a rrdtool config-log.

// George

checking libart_lgpl/libart.h presence... no
checking for libart_lgpl/libart.h... no
checking for pkg-config... pkg-config
4À$$: not found
$VRFB-TLY8:: not found
/usr/pkg/bin/pkg-config: cannot open M9HX+IA#C21JSO?: no such file
$V.+£4: not found
Ë°: not foundpkg-config: ,DLTÒ[ñÿd/lCsY{CDwS ãª]²¹2¿¬µ
/usr/pkg/bin/pkg-config:
[ñÿd/lCsY{CD---------------------------------------------------
* I found a copy of pkgconfig, but there is no libart-2.0.pc file around.
  You may want to set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable to point to its
  location.

configure: WARNING:
* I could not find a working copy of libart-2.0. Check config.log for hints on
why
  this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS appropriately
  so that compiler and the linker can find libart_lgpl_2 and its header files.
If
  you have not installed libart-2.0, you can get it either from its original
home on

     ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libart_lgpl/2.3/

  You can find also find an archive copy on

     http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/pub/libs

  The last tested version of libart-2.0 is 2.3.17.

       LIBS=-lm
   LDFLAGS=-L/usr/pkg/lib -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/lib -Wl,-R/usr/lib
  CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/pkg/include/freetype2 -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/include
-I/usr/include/libart-2.0

checking for zlibVersion in -lz... yes
checking zlib.h usability... yes
checking zlib.h presence... yes
checking for zlib.h... yes
checking for png_access_version_number in -lpng... yes
checking png.h usability... yes
checking png.h presence... yes
checking for png.h... yes
checking for FT_Init_FreeType in -lfreetype... yes
checking ft2build.h usability... yes
checking ft2build.h presence... yes
checking for ft2build.h... yes
configure: error: Please fix the library issues listed above and try again.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/rrdtool
WARNING: *** Please consider adding c++ to USE_LANGUAGES in the package
Makefile.
WARNING: *** Please consider adding fortran to USE_LANGUAGES in the package
Makefile.

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <IXOYE><