Re: iSCSI, lvm, storage and the future

Adam Hamsik wrote:

On Dec,Saturday 8 2007, at 3:45 PM, Alistair Crooks wrote:

  ...    we need LVM - the Lunix one would seem to be the
best option.

Please look at AIX's LVM and the way it does distribution of Physical Partitions vs. Linux LVM and its Pysical Extent "Striping".

In AIX they have something called the "Intra-Physical Volume Allocation Policy" that allows you to manage the distribution of Physical Partitions ("Extents" in Linux) between PVs.

Basically it simplifies the problem of adding a new PV if you want the data spread across as many PVs as possible.

I don't know enough to know if it could be incorporated if NetBSD uses the Linux LVM system (devmapper et al). But it would be a VAST improvement.

Louis